Do we "own" our illnesses? Maybe it's time we shouldn't

When talking to a friend about my battle with stomach issues and thyroid disease, I didn't realize that I used the word, "my" when telling her about them. Calling them, "my ulcer," "my thyroid problem." She stopped me and said, "did you hear what you said? You owned them, but you don't have to."

That made me think about a book my chiropractor gave me called "Switch On Your Brain" by Dr. Caroline Leaf. I am looking forward to reading it, but I just found this on her website. I am guilty of having toxic thoughts. How freeing to know that I don't have to. But check this out. . . .

Toxic Thoughts

75% to 95% of the illnesses that plague us today are a direct result of our thought life. What we think about affects us physically and emotionally. It's an epidemic of toxic emotions.

The average person has over 30,000 thoughts a day. Through an uncontrolled thought life, we create the conditions for illness; we make ourselves sick! Research shows that fear, all on its own, triggers more than 1,400 known physical and chemical responses and activates more than 30 different hormones. There are INTELLECTUAL and MEDICAL reasons to FORGIVE! Toxic waste generated by toxic thoughts causes the following illnesses: diabetes, cancer, asthma, skin problems and allergies to name just a few. Consciously control your thought life and start to detox your brain!

Medical research increasingly points to the fact that thinking and consciously controlling your thought life is one of the best ways, if not the best way of detoxing your brain. It allows you to get rid of those toxic thoughts and emotions that can consume and control your mind. Change in your thinking is essential to detox the brain. Consciously controlling your thought life means not letting thoughts rampage through your mind. It means learning to engage interactively with every single thought that you have, and to analyze it before you decide either to accept or reject it.

How do you go about doing that? By "looking" at your mental processes. That may sound like a strange, if not impossible thing to do. After all, it's not as if you can just crack open your skull like an egg and have a look at what is going on inside your brain.

It is possible, however, to look at your mental processes.

In fact, it is not just possible, it is essential.

For example consider the following:
How many "could-have", "would-have", "should-have" statements have you made today?
How many "if onlys" were part of your inner vocabulary today?
How many times have you replayed in your head a conversation or situation that pained you, or one that hasn't even occurred yet?
How many scenarios have you created of the unpredictable future?
How much is speculation taking out of your day?
How passive is your mind?
How honest are you with yourself?
Are you at cross-purposes with yourself - going through the motions, but not really committed to the goal, saying one thing but meaning another?
How distorted is your thinking? Are you forming a personal identity around for example, a disease? Do you speak about "my arthritis", "my multiple sclerosis", "my heart problem"?
Do you ever make comments like "nothing ever goes right for me"; "everything I touch fails"; "I always mess up"?

If you answered yes even to just one of these, your thought life needs detoxing right now.



http://drleaf.com/about/toxic-thoughts/

Comments

Popular Posts